[GRASSLIST:107] Re: How can I help?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Mar 14 15:10:32 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:21:54AM -0800, David Finlayson wrote:
> First, I just finished my Ph.D. I used GRASS extensively in my work.
> The new r.rast.arrows feature in CVS alone was a God-send. Thanks to
> all the developers who made it possible to do some pretty advanced GIS
> in Linux!

Congratulations!

> So, now that I've settled into the post-doc life, I've got a few hours
> in the evening to spend time giving back to the GRASS community. It
> seems to me that one thing GRASS could really use is some better free
> documentation. The link to documentation from the main page goes to a
> "Help!" message and links to a list that hasn't been used much for
> years. The GRASS WIKI might be a good place to do this, but the
> organization of the wiki is not clear to me. Who is in charge of
> documentation and where can I help?

Do you mean writing docs? A couple of people, spreaded over the
internet.
Or the web site? Unfortunately almost me, but all developers have
write access to modify the Web site as well (it just rarely
happens).

I am still working on the new grass.itc.it server and thought to
install a content management system on it (maybe Joomla?). Then
"roles" could be defined and power users could easily contribute.
Sounds reasonable?

Markus