[GRASSLIST:216] Re: [GRASS5] Built-in vector documentation extended

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 17 12:37:20 EST 2006

Michael,

This is very helpful and answers many questions I have about the new
vector format, especially points. I do want to confirm my understanding
from "Vector data processing in GRASS GIS" (please pardon my being
obtuse). So…

In order to get a Postgres table consisting of point coordinates and
various attributes to import into my lat-long location using v.in.db, I
had to put a "1" in the field for the "category column name (string
required)"; when I put "lid" in the field, I got an error saying the
type was not an integer. It seems GRASS is expecting a string for the
field name that has integer as its type. My problem is that none of my
fields meet this requirement for the key field, the only column that
does, "lid", has type string.

Now, my question is, for 5030 records, how do I add an integer key
field? My guess is that I would have to write a script that (1) created
a new column (type integer) for the Postgres table and (2) looped,
sequentially filling the new field for each record with a unique integer
value — or I could drop the table, and do all of this outside of the
Postgres/GRASS environment and reload the table. The problem I have with
doing either is that the table design is not my own and is controlled by
'outsiders'.

Regards,
Tom