[GRASSLIST:317] grass and postgis

marcos boullón magán marcosboullon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:15:55 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

Two questions related to GRASS and PostGIS databases.

First. When I use v.out.ogr to export a vector map to a remote PostGIS
database, the result remote table lacks of a "primary key" constrain,
which causes no problems with some GIS tools (uDIG) and a fatal error
in others (OrbisCAD). Is there any trick to force a primary key field
in the new remote table while exporting?

Second. Can someone describe the goal of pg.postgisdb command in a few
lines? I can see it creates a plpgsql language and a
plpgsql_call_handler() function in a (yet PostGIS-aware?) database
linked to plpgsql.so system library. Doesn't it duplicate the PostGIS
installation process step "createlang plpgsql yourdatabase && psql -f
lwpostgis.sql -d your_database"? And doesn't it mix badly local tools
(my grass local install) and remote services (my remote postgresql +
postgis install)? (execution checks for a postgis install available
locally to pg.postgisdb command, but postgis should be only installed
in remote server where postgresql is).

Thanks in advance,

M.

--