[GRASSLIST:430] Re: how to refer to cell's ,longitude latitude coordinates?

Vishal Mehta vishalm1975 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 00:00:05 EST 2006

thanks everyone,

i'll try r.sun, but i thought i'd like the freedom of running my own
algorithms- i'm not sure i'll have access to the papers that are referred to
in the r.sun help page, to check out the algorithm.

meanwhile, here is what i'd like to do, using either r.sun or my own
algorithms. If you can suggest some *general* steps, that would speed up my
attempts:

I want to create a monthly map of extraterrestrial radiation, and net
radiation, on a 0.5 degree grid for extents 60 -100.5E and 5 to 45.5N. I am
not particular about corrections for aspect and slope at this point. So
particular questions i have now are:
a) I already have a location with the above coordinates and cell size. Can i
use r.sun on an empty map or do i absolutely need an elevations, slope
and aspetc map?

b) At this point i can only derive monthly radiation maps by summing the
daily estimates in r.sun- right?

thanks all!
vishal