[GRASSLIST:431] Re: Maximum number of colors in rasters

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Mar 28 02:04:09 EST 2006

These are actually related questions...I think.

A TclTk canvas can use a full color RGB image (16 million). I'm not sure
about an x-monitor (but see below).

The PNG driver for GRASS is the one used for the TclTk canvases in the new
GIS Manager. It can be set to a low index color setting or a "true color"
setting (the one used by default for the GIS Manager). I think the latter is
32 bit (please correct me someone if this is wrong). It looks to my eye that
an x-monitor can display the same number of colors.

The color table does not store colors per se. It stores a reference to
colors. For a continuous shade map, like an elevation map, it stores
reference points along a color continuum and GRASS seems to generate the
intermediate gradations. You can look at the color table in a mapset. It is
just an ascii file.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402