[GRASSLIST:457] Building GRASS in a user account

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:22:46 EST 2006

In the past, I've always had root access to install libraries via the
package managers prior to building GRASS from CVS. I am now facing a
system where I will not have root access period. In fact, I cannot
even use CVS since the firewall blocks most ports (I tried the https
trick by adding 443 at the end of the IP address, but I don't think it
is supported by CVSROOT.

So, I created a source directory in my user account and downloaded
grass and proj4. Proj4 built without problems. But how do I "install"
it in my user account? That is, where do I put the files (and what is
the best way to get them there) so that I can build GRASS against the
proj4 headers and libraries?

I tried configuring grass to the ~/source/proj4/src directory where
most of the compiled code for proj4 is, but that crashed with grass
./configure complaining about not finding proj4 libraries.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

--
David Finlayson