[GRASSLIST:487] Re: running r.topmodel

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 30 21:25:15 EST 2006

Jaime,

I believe I can help you, although:

(1) I have never run TOPMODEL in GRASS (just the Fortran standalone version)

(2) the link to Lancaster Univ. is old, in fact I'm not sure Kieth Bevan
& Lancaster Univ. even make the original source available now, from what
I can see at: http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/hfdg/freeware/hfdg_freeware_top.htm

My guesses are these, since they conform to the GRASS r.topmodel manual
page and the original files for the standalone version of TOPMODEL:

parameters=string
(i) TOPMODEL Parameters file, where the standalone file looked like this:

SUBCATCHMENT 1
0.032 5.0 50. 3600.0 3600.0 0.05 0.0000328 0.002 0 1.0 0.02 0.1

I can not remember what's what; I'll have to dig this up, plus I'll have
to look at the r.topmodel source code more — I believe the data are read
in this order from what I can see in the source…

input=string
(i) Rainfall and potential evapotranspiration data file {probably a
space delimited file with 2 columns}
output=string
(o) Output file {looks like flow is cu meters/timestep}
Qobs=string
(i) OPTIONAL Observed flow file {single column file}

My recollection is that the inputs are in terms of meters/time-step
(flow would be cu. meters/delta-t) — but I MUST CONFIRM THIS!

The original input file in the standalone version combined the GRASS
input & Qobs files and looked like this:

950 1.0 <====== Number of timesteps & Number of hours per time step (I
believe)
.0000000 .0000619 .0000328
.0000000 .0000647 .0000325
.0010000 .0000619 .0000330
.0010000 .0000560 .0000333
.0010000 .0000457 .0000348
.0005000 .0000323 .0000356
.0005000 .0000156 .0000356
.0000000 .0000000 .0000356
.0005000 .0000000 .0000351

Notice that the values are very small, which makes me believe that I
think my guess about the units of the input are correct; this could be
different in the GRASS r.topmodel code, of course. The columns are,
respectively, precipitation, PE, and ObsQ.

At least this can get you going. I'll try to get more on this in the
next few days. With a little help of some of the more experienced GRASS
module contributors, I don't mind taking this on.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas E Adams