[GRASSLIST:1018] Georeferencing without the mouse?

David Ottina dottina at telenet.be
Fri May 5 13:06:11 EDT 2006

Hi,

New to GIS, and new to GRASS. Trying to learn using GRASS 6.0.1/GDAL under ubuntu dapper

On importing a .jpg, .tif, etc. that is not georeferenced the tutorial explains using i.group i.target, i.point, i.rectify, which I can do. But I'm wondering if it is possible to avoid the mouse by specifing both sets of points textually.

For instance if I'm trying to georeferece a global image of a known pixel resolution and projection like NASA's blue marble: http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2430

Then I'd prefer some way to say:

x,y = lat, long
0,0 = -180,90
0,1024 = -180,-90
or some such thing - without having to duke it out with the mouse. Is there some way to do this?

A related question is: if I do use the mouse how concerned with the mouse coordinate accuracy do I need to be? It is unimagineable that I will actually hit the precise pixel values with mouse interface as it is.

Best,
david