[GRASSLIST:1035] Re: Populating fields of one table based on SQL query from another ta ble

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 10:54:02 EDT 2006

Hamish:
> fyi I've got a few Matlab scripts for lining up and interpolating
> positions from a GPS log & a recording instrument. Basic idea is the
> recording instrument is taking a reading every 10 sec but the GPS only
> every 30. I want a x,y column with my sensor data so figure out a
> position for each record, then filter & calc a R:G:B column, then
> import with v.in.ascii for snail-trail plotting & interpolation. It
> works pretty well as the ship's movements are pretty steady vs a 2nd
> order fit. Currently they are task specific but if I get the funds to
> do more with that data I can revisit them & put together a more
> general script. I can share the basic idea though if you are
> interested.

Eric:
> Sure, by all means. I'm definitely interested. Although I have zero
> experience with Matlab, I could probably mirror the functionality
> through bash.

The Free software program "Octave" works in a manner "not dissimilar" to
Matlab. You can run basic array algebra scripts without worry. None of
the fancy UI graphics stuff works, but that's not unexpected. ML code is
about 1/3rd UNIX and 1/3rd C so it's quite easy to pick up if you have
experience in one or both of those, and it's easier to read than both.

I'll see if I can find a clear example; will get back to you off-list
sometime later in the week.

Hamish