[GRASS-user] Using g.setproj to "fix" PROJ_INFO

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri May 12 12:46:26 EDT 2006

Hey guys,

A colleague is having problems with an archaic Grass project in that
geotiffs created from rasters in this Location only display correctly in
ArcGIS in UTM Zone 20 despite g.proj -p saying that the Location is UTM Zone
19. All the projection info I can find on data in this Location says it's
UTM 19, but the data displays as UTM20. We're pretty sure that the ArcGIS
data used as a check against the Grass data is correct (let's assume so for
the sake of this argument). Is it ok to go ahead and make backups of
PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS, delete the originals, and then run g.setproj to
make new info files? Are there any dangers to doing this? This is uncharted
waters for me.

~ Eric.