[GRASS-user] multiflow direction models

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon May 15 17:41:45 EDT 2006

Jus a short explanation - people often mix 2 things - flow direction
and flow accumulation.

You can have the following flow/gradient direction:
D-4 (direction is discretized with 90 deg step), D-8 (discretized
with 45 degree step), D-inf (discretization is
defined by FP precision)

The flow accumulation can be computed as
SFD (single flow direction - all water flow into single lowest cell),
MFD (multiple flow direction - water is distributed into multiple
lower cells - different rules can be set),
  full 2D (bivariate routing according to continuity equation).

You can combine these in different ways, none of the methods in GRASS
is exactly the same as Tarboton's.

Helena