[GRASS-user] Re: python interface

Joel Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Wed May 17 23:36:39 EDT 2006

Thanks to everyone for their response!

I've already been doing os.system and os.popen calls as people suggested.

I'm trying to develop a GUI program to manage my dispersal experiments
so alot of the low level GRASS interaction is already implemented as
seperate C programs. I would like to be able to do some low level
interaction however - but this is basically reading raster rows and
calculating means for binned integer ranges.

My plan is to have a map display within a pyGTK interface and I've
heard of people using the PNG driver to display the monitor in an
appropriate widget. Are there any other methods or already implemented
widgets for GTK (I know there is a qtGRASS project...)?

I could possibly spend time on integrating the swig interface with
GRASS but I'm relatively new to python so I'll wait till I've slightly
more competent

Cheers
Joel