[GRASS-user] Re: wierd artifacts in DEM from seamless.usgs.gov

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu May 18 22:04:43 EDT 2006

Dylan,

it could be the gdalwrap, I have seen this kind of artifacts coming
from the projection programs,
actually I got something like this when I projected the 10m spearfish
data that are in the database with r.proj
with the default method (nearest).

So first import the original latlon DEM into GRASS and view it shaded
or in nviz to check whether
the original is OK. If it does not have the problem (make sure you
have the resolution set to the imported raster
so that no resampling is done). Then use r.proj to project it into
UTM, for method - nearest will give you stripes,
but I believe that I got good result with cubic. BTW the tps option
in gdalwrap should give you good results
too, but there may be some resampling going on that gives you the
stripes.

Let me know if it worked,

Helena