[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1074] Re: interpolation from vector points

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Sat May 20 03:54:41 EDT 2006

I understand the problem you are having. What we need is a v.hull with
a tension parameter so that it sticks closer to the data points.

Anyway, try this:

1. Buffer your data points with a sufficiently wide buffer that the
internal data area merges together into a single polygon. Note the
buffer distance.

2. Convert the polygon to a raster with a value = 1

3. Select all cells that are null (i.e., outside the data area)

4. buffer the "no data" area to trim off the excess data region
created in step 1. The idea is to cut back into the data region about
the same distance you buffered in the first place

5. Select all the null cells in step 4 (the data region) and make this your MASK

6. Trim the interpolated map by the MASK created in step 5.

--
David Finlayson