[GRASS-user] Clarification/Correction on WIKI Gdal/OGR plugin install tutorial

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Tue May 23 12:20:16 EDT 2006

I think I may have found a section of the WIKI that needs a little
modification (perhaps). Reading section 6 under Installation of the tutorial
page on compiling the GDAL/OGR plugin, it reads:

"6.  GDAL/OGR-GRASS plugin - file: gdal-grass-1.3.1.1.tar.gz (or later) [1]
NOTE: the plugin needs to see the GRASS libraries . The best way is to add a
file 'grass6.conf' into the directory /etc/ld.so.conf.d (edit as root) which
contains the path to the GRASS libraries; then run 'ldconfig'."

What if I have a path in /etc/ld.so.conf that points to my Grass libs? Will
my compile stand a better chance of having the Grass libs detected one way
or another? For example, here's my /etc/ld.so.conf:

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/share/qt3/lib
/usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs/lib
/opt/grass-6.1.cvs/lib

I'm currently trying to get Grass-cvs compiled on /opt. Maybe a line should
be added to the section of the WIKI noted above that only a line within
/etc/ld.so.conf need point to Grass libs if indeed that is the case?

~ Eric.