[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1082] Re: Sediment dispersal modeling

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Wed May 24 14:42:12 EDT 2006

Setting aside how realistic the model is, why not try this:

1. Calculate the distance from the harbor mouth to all marine pixels
(my function r.eucdist would be good for this)

2. Code up a diffusion equation in r.mapcalc that is a function of
distance and calculate its value for the entire map using the distance
map in #1 as input.

3. Cut the "diffused" mass map at some threshold

4. Normalize the map so that it sums to one

5. Multiply the normalized map by the volume of sediment input at the mouth.

I am not sure exactly what #2 should look like, linear, exponential
whatever you think best represents your problem. FWIW I think that the
equation for IDW does something like this:

w = (1 - D/Dmax)^2 / (D/Dmax)

Where w is the resulting normalized weight, D is the distance of the
cell from the source and Dmax is the maximum distance (for
normalization) from the source in the grid.

--
David Finlayson