[GRASS-user] Problems with import of shapefile

twiens twiens at interbaun.com
Thu May 25 13:24:38 EDT 2006

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Wolfgang Zillig <wollez at gmx.net>
To: grasslist-en <grassuser at grass.itc.it>
Subject: [GRASS-user] Problems with import of shapefile
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 18:46:27 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I've imported a shapefile into a lat/long area (I'm not
> completely sure  if I use the right area, but there was no
> documentation at all). v.in.ogr ...
> but as soon as I want to set the current region to my
> vector map I get  the following error:
> ERROR: Cannot open old vector laos1 at lao on level 2
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. What has happened is that during import the process
failed and couldn't build topology (level 2) data. What I do
when I encounter a messy shapefile like this is import it in
two parts. First the line work and second the centroids.
Then I run v.build.polylines on the line work and patch the
centroids (v.patch) into the file. This has worked for me,
but perhaps others have a better strategy. It is unfortunate
that v.in.ogr often fails on messy shapefiles, but I've
found this method to work.

Trevor Wiens