[GRASS-user] [GRASSLIST:1085] Re: Labels and ps.map

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 02:40:54 EDT 2006

[sorry for the late response,]

> Thanks for your thoughts. I looked into it a bit more, and finally
> figured out what was wrong. I had a list of 78 sites with name,
> latitude and longitude. One site name had an open parenthesis but no
> close parenthesis. Something about this caused a postscript error
> when I added labels in ps.map. Ps.map ran fine, but Adobe Illustrator
>
> gave a message "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown
> error." When I removed the open parenthesis, it worked fine. I'm not
> sure whether this counts as a bug or not, but it's certainly
> unexpected behavior.

It's a bug.

ps.map feeds the labels directly into the PostScript file unaltered.

If you want to use unmatched () or spanning two lines you need to
have the label as "\(", "\)"
You can edit the .ps file after to do this.

ps.map should really do this for you, but currently it doesn't.

e.g. from a .ps file:
(34) 180.919200 669.694805 MS
(Helvetica-Bold) FN 13.0 SF
(Regional map showing interpolated values for February)

If you have an unmatched ")" in the label, the .ps interpreter will
think it is the end of the text string and the rest is PS commands..
& then crash.

Hamish