[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSLIST:962] Re: GRASS and vector lines: how can I change the direction of digitized lines?

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Tue May 30 18:42:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:19:53 -0500
Huidae Cho <grass4u at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maciek,
>
> FYI, "> /dev/null 2>&1" will suppress stderr messages as well as
> stdout while "2>&1 > /dev/null" won't.
>
> Check this page: http://geni.ath.cx/unix.html#toc6

Thanks Huidae! Nice.

The origin of my problem was that v.clean sends all it's output to
stderr instead of stdout, so real warnigs and errors are mixed with
normal output.

v.clean is very verbose and I would like to prevent it from filling my
screen with tones of output when called from a script, on one hand, yet
on the other I can't send all it's output to /dev/null as I want to
keep warnings and errors visible.

Maciek