[GRASS-user] grass 6.3 module list in PDF

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Nov 8 08:42:43 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 12:42:12AM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard Gagne gave me the idea to rebuild something I found useful from
> GRASS 5, an easy to read synopsis of modules. This is basically a PDF
> version of full_index.html.
>
> It's in CVS now, and this link will become active sometime in the next
> 24 hours:
>   http://grass.itc.it/gdp/grassmanuals/grass63_module_list.pdf
>
> With the speed of GRASS's development, I imagine this will be out of
> date by then, and it will much be better to write a
> tools/build_latex_index.sh script or add the functionality into the
> tools/build_html_index.sh script.
>
> unanswered style question: do module descriptions get a trailing "."?
>

> the GRASS 5 manuals used to build themselves into PDF form,
>   http://grass.itc.it/gdp/grassmanuals/
>
> maybe we could set up a script to do this for GRASS 6? (chances are good
> that Markus already has & I've missed it :) It could be a nice PDF
> auto-generated latex book, chapters by type, clickable index, etc.

This can be easily done with "htmldoc". I have added two new
targets to the main Makefile:

- make html2pdfdoc
   creates grass63commands.pdf
  (similar to your file, but out HTML pages would need some fine tuning)

- make html2pdfdoccomplete
   creates a set of PDF pages for each command class (hundreds of pages)

Once the HTML pages are improved for PDF'ness and once I get htmldoc
compiled on the 64bit machine, we can automatically generate the
command list PDF.

Markus