[GRASS-user] v.to.rast on 3D polygons?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Nov 21 17:48:52 EST 2006

A bit stumped on this:

I imported a 3D polygon shapefile with v.in.ogr and the 3D (-z)
option to generate a 3D area vector.  Without the 3D option, the
polygon heights are dropped altogether, without adding them to the
attribute table.

I now want to make a raster with area fills corresponding to the
elevation (height) of the 3D polygons.  According to the v.to.rast
docs, the use=z option only works for points and lines, and indeed
all that gives me is single cells at the centroids.

As a workaround I thought I'd put the elevation into the db table
with v.to.db, but there is no z option, just area and perimeter.

Any ideas how to get the 3D z value into a raster fill?

Is it possible to add a z option for v.to.rast (for areas) and/or
v.to.db?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy