[GRASS-user] problems building grass 6.3

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 16:20:50 EST 2006

Seb wrote:
> Until recently I've been successful building grass 6.3 from CVS by
> first configuring it using:

(Debian, right?)

..
> | export CVSROOT=:pserver:grass-guest at intevation.de:/home/grass/grassrepository
> | cvs login

this is only needed once.

..
> which produces the following when called:
..
> However, I am currently getting many errors during build, and I've
> stored the results with 'make 2>&1 | tee make_log.txt':
..
> | --- Following modules are missing the 'description.html' file in src
> | code:
> | r.li.patchnumber
> | r.li.shape
> | r.watershed.ram
> | r.watershed.seg

r.watershed.* don't need man pages, that they show up here is an error in
a Makefile somewhere.

..
> | Errors in:
> | /usr/local/src/grass-cvs/lib/proj

> Further up the log, I can see where these errors come from, e.g.:
..
> | make[2]: ***
> | [/usr/local/src/grass-cvs/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libgras
> | s_gproj.6.3.cvs.so] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
> | `/usr/local/src/grass-cvs/lib/proj' rowio
> | --
> | Errors in:
> | /usr/local/src/grass-cvs/lib/proj
> | /usr/local/src/grass-cvs/lib/vector/Vlib

you need to show more of the error report. (we see the where but not the why)

> AFAICT nothing has changed in my system since last time this procedure
> worked.  I would be grateful for any advice on how to properly build
> this grass version.

I had a similar problem the other day with Debian ("missing -lgeos"),
solution was to install the libgeos-dev package. I don't know what change
in GRASS made that GDAL prerequisite suddenly a requirement for building
GRASS.

Hamish