[GRASS-user] Importing a SDTS/DLG files?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 21:56:09 EST 2006

James McManus wrote:
> >> I'm trying to import SDTS/DLG files. I attempted to use v.in.ogr,
> >> by importing the TR01CATD.DDF file:
> >>
> >> v.in.ogr dsn=grassdata/USGS/BarHarbor/RD/TR01CATD.DDF
> >> output=BHroads min_area=0.0001 snap=-1
> >>
> >> The file was imported, however I got several warnings, informing me
> >> that the feature was imported without the geometry. When I viewed
> >> the file I got a white screen without features.
..
> > what does "v.info BHroads" show? any features?
..
> When I issue the "g.region vect=BHroads" or "v.info BHroads" I get the
>
> following error message:
>
> ERROR: Cannot open old vector BHroads at PERMANENT on level 2
>
> If the original location information is not the same as the data,
> would this problem occur? For instance if the resolution is not the
> same. I've not found good meta-data on the resolution of this data. I
> also suspect that some of the other location meta-data I am using may
> be incorrect. I tried using "expand area" without success. However,
> in all cases the file is imported. I just can't view it.

It doesn't sound like a projection problem. In general vector data
doesn't care about projection or resolution. The coordinates are exact.

- can you post the exact v.in.ogr messages here?
- can you post the result of "ogrinfo <filename>"? maybe with "-al"?
- can you use "ogr2ogr" to convert to a shapefile or something, then
import that into GRASS?
- maybe try "v.in.ogr location=" if you are concerned about projection
settings. This creates a new location using the input's data projection
settings.

> >> I would like to try using v.in.dlg. It does not appear to be
> >> included in grass-6.2.0. Has this routine been discontinued in
> >> grass-6.2.0?

yes, as (theoretically) there is an OGR solution. You can always install
GRASS 5.4.0 along side GRASS 6, import it, then run v.convert in GRASS 6
to get the thing loaded.

Hamish