[GRASS-user] the installation

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 2 17:29:55 EDT 2006

Hi Ching,
Glad to see you have started to dive into GRASS.
You probably would benefit from the GRASS quickstart guide which introduces several concepts:
http://grass.itc.it/grass63/manuals/html63_user/helptext.html

I followed along with what you did and have hit a snag as well.  Hopefully you will get you a step further than I have.  I'm still looking at it...

But, in a nutshell, I set my "GIS Data Directory" to:
C:/msys/1.0/local/grass/data
after creating the data folder manually.  This is where all my GRASS projects data will be stored.

Then under "Define new location with..." I select "EPSG codes".  This is to initialise the "location" database.  (Location is roughly equivalent to set of data for a project.)

A dialogue box should appear.  Provide any name you want for the location Name.  The two paths should default properly for you.  Enter in an EPSG projection code number.  You can hit the Browse button to review the very  long list of EPSG codes.  These are a number that represents a specific set of projection parameters.  Here are some examples of EPSG numbers to use that are probably applicable to you:
4326 = geographic coordinates
3005 = BC Albers NAD83
26910 = UTM NAD83 Zone 10
26909 = UTM NAD83 Zone 9

Enter the number into the EPSG box, then select the "Define Location" button.  Command window appears but never leaves. Hmmmm...

If I kill the command window I get the errors listed below.  Anyone have any ideas?

Hope this helps.

Tyler
--------------
A datum name nad83 (North_American_Datum_1983) was specified without transformation parameters.

Now select Datum Transformation Parameters
Please think carefully about the area covered by your data
and the accuracy you require before making your selection.

Enter 'list' to see the list of available Parameter sets
Enter the corresponding number, or <RETURN> to cancel request
>^Cchild process exited abnormally
A datum name nad83 (North_American_Datum_1983) was specified without transformation parameters.

Now select Datum Transformation Parameters
Please think carefully about the area covered by your data
and the accuracy you require before making your selection.

Enter 'list' to see the list of available Parameter sets
Enter the corresponding number, or <RETURN> to cancel request
>^Cchild process exited abnormally
    while executing
"exec -- $env(GISBASE)/etc/grass-xterm-wrapper -e $env(GISBASE)/etc/make_location_epsg.sh  $epsg_code $epsgLocation $locpath"
    invoked from within
".optPopup.submit invoke"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
    (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 24)
    invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .optPopup.submit
"
    (command bound to event)

---------
Ching wrote:

Hello, everyone:

I followed the procedures listed on web to install MS-Windows native binary at http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html, the fist three steps were successfully installed. However, the step 4, �Run C:\msys\1.0\grass.bat to start the GRASS GIS Manager � when I run this step, it let me to provide Location, Mapset, and Database. I did not know where I should point them to.

I am newer in this group and first time for installation, anyone can help?

Thanks lot

Ching