[GRASS-user] 6.2 vs. 6.3

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 5 18:40:36 EDT 2006

Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about what is going on with GRASS 6.2 and 6.3, both of
> which appear to be betas -- why are there two different version numbers?  Is
> 6.3 a completely rewrite wheras 6.2 is an "upgraded" 6.1?

6.2 is a stable/release branch, 6.3 is an unstable/development branch.

In general, most changes are made to 6.3. Any "safe" changes (e.g.
simple bug fixes) are merged into 6.2, while less safe changes (e.g.
anything which breaks compatibility or substantial changes which need
significant testing) are left out of 6.2.