[GRASS-user] Large vector files

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 5 19:29:53 EDT 2006

I wonder (and I'm thinking out loud here) if there are ways to "tile" vector
processes in an analogous (if not algorithmic) way to how we deal with
massive raster datasets?  Are the issues I'm running into fundamentally
something with older file formats, operating system/file system limitations,
algorithmic maturity, or some mixture of all of these things?  As you
pointed out, the Lidar community seems to have the most pressing need for
these issues to get sorted out -- however as GIS analyses get more advanced
and require more data, I'm guessing the average user may run into this as
well.

On a related note, apparently ESRI may be releasing a new version of their
geodatabase format to get around some of the filesize issues in their 9.2
release (the beta apparently has this functionality).  No word on whether it
a) works or b) has algorithmic advances to deal with these DB...

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
NRC Research Associate