[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Basic GIS course ideas

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Oct 6 12:23:13 EDT 2006

I regularly teach a course in spatial technologies for anthropology grad
students. I have to start with an assumption that people know no GIS and go
from there. But I also want the students to be able to use GIS and related
tools in their research, not just to be able to push buttons and make maps.
This is consistently difficult, of course.

Beginning in 2004, I started to use GRASS in the course. I did both GRASS
and ESRI (both ArcView and ArcGIS in that year) as the software I discussed.
This was overly complicated and I probably will not include ArcGIS next
time.

In 2005, I did a similar course at the U. Valencia (Spain) with only GRASS.
This past spring, I co-taught a remote sensing course that included GRASS
(along with other software) as recommended tools. (The PDF's are available
on my website and can be used by anyone who wants to).

The one biggest issue in using GRASS has been that most students use MS
Windows and GRASS was difficult to install for them--and consistently had
Windows related problems of access and permissions. This has been magnified
in a lab setting.

GRASS works great for teaching fundamental GIS and image processing
concepts--if you can get it to run on your Windows machine. I also strongly
recommend QGIS for beginners. However, it is more limited for teaching GIS
research concepts--especially on Windows where (at least until recently) the
GRASS plugins were either unavailable or complicated to install.

The new Windows native GRASS will make a HUGE difference in this. One of my
doctoral students just did a 2 afternoon workshop for other grad students on
GRASS and GIS. Huidae Cho and Glynn Clements did the new WinGRASS just in
time and deserve a tremendous thanks. Although it is still an alpha version,
90+% works which is enough to teach with. Everyone used it in the workshop.

I've looked at QGIS 0.8 and it is very nice. With the continuing work, it
should also be an excellent teaching tool. When I next teach spatial
technologies in a year, I will be using 100% GRASS and QGIS. Students can
walk away from the course with full-featured software that they can use for
the rest of their careers--and possibly contribute to improving. This is
wonderful.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213