[GRASS-user] displaying points based on attributes

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Oct 13 01:56:32 EDT 2006

I've learned that in GRASS, it helps to think raster. Try the following:

1. Make a raster version of your vector data (or even make a simple
schematic raster map that simply has one or more grid cells for each
category in your vector map)
2. Use r.colors with rules to color the rasterized points (or any other
feature) based on an attribute that you save with your raster to match the
colors you use in the color column for vectors
3. Display your colored vector map
4. Use d.legend to display a nice legend for the raster version of your
vector map
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213