[GRASS-user] r.proj input output comparison

Martin du Saire mdusaire at umn.edu
Thu Oct 19 12:53:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

A specific, and general question on reprojection:

I've changed the resolution of a raster from 1000 to 2 (UTM15) using
r.proj.  The summary statistics are very similar for both rasters
which is reassuring.  However, how do I display/compare both rasters
so that I can see which of the higher resolution pixels have the
largest/smallest differences (for example) with respect to the
original 1000 m data?

The importance of "knowing your projections" was discussed in the UTM
concepts thread, but in general how would one compare reprojected
maps to evaluate projection related differences?

Or, if I have a set of images, vectors, and raster that "line up"
correctly in one projection, wouldn't they be self-consistent when
reprojected, although somewhat distorted with respect to the original?

Thanks.