[GRASS-user] r.in.xyz: Could open text file ~ 2.5GB

Michael Perdue michael_perdue at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 19 19:58:44 EDT 2006

Eric,

Have you tried running an identical command on a small sub sample of
your data?

Personally, I haven't had any LFS support problems with r.in.xyz.
This included scanning a text file for extents as your trying to do.
After the initial thread was started with respect to r.in.xyz's LFS I
went back and checked some of the test data sets that I have. They're
all beyond the 2GB limit (3.7GB is the largest i've tested so far)
and I haven't had any problems with the program. As far as I can see,
the only thing I have noticed that is different with a file beyond
the 2 gig size is that the progress indicator never comes up. I think
most people can live with that. I have a 500 million point dataset
that I'm trying to get out of las binary format right now. When
that's done I'll pass that through r.in.xyz and report how that goes.
I figure it'll be around 15GB in size, so if that doesn't trip up
r.in.xyz then I don't think anything will.

Cheers,

Mike