[GRASS-user] r.in.xyz: Could open text file ~ 2.5GB

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri Oct 20 12:26:38 EDT 2006

Glynn:
>To enable LFS elsewhere, you need to manually add
>-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the compilation flags. The simplest approach
>is to add:
>ifneq ($(USE_LARGEFILES),)
>	EXTRA_CFLAGS = -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>endif

>to raster/r.in.xyz/Makefile, then repeat the "make" and "make install"
>steps.
>--
>Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>

I tried both adding the test above to r.in.xyz/Makefile, then make and make
install with the same error. I then tried adding -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to
the compilation flags:

CFLAGS="-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
./configure  \
--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4 \
--without-postgres \
--with-odbc \
--with-sqlite \
--with-sqlite-includes=/usr/include \
--with-freetype \
--with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
--with-readline \
--with-cxx \
--with-gdal \
--with-gdal-includes=/usr/local/include \
--enable-largefile \
--with-proj-share=/usr/local/share/proj \
--with-fftw \
--with-opengl \
--with-opengl-includes=/usr/include/GL \
--prefix=/opt --bindir=/opt/bin

Configure meassages related to LFS:
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... 1
checking if system supports Large Files at all... yes

GRASS is now configured for:  i686-pc-linux-gnu

 Source directory:            /opt/grass6
 Build directory:             /opt/grass6
 Installation directory:      /opt/grass-6.3.cvs
 Startup script in directory: /opt/bin
 C compiler:                  gcc -g -O2
 C++ compiler:                c++ -g -O2
 FORTRAN compiler:
 Building shared libraries:   yes
 64bit support:               no
 OpenGL platform:             X11

  NVIZ:                       yes

  BLAS support:               no
  C++ support:                yes
  DWG support:                no
  FFMPEG support:             no
  FFTW support:               yes
  FreeType support:           yes
  GDAL support:               yes
  GLw support:                no
  JPEG support:               yes
  LAPACK support:             no
  Large File Support (LFS):   yes
  Motif support:              no
  MySQL support:              no
  NLS support:                no
  ODBC support:               yes
  OGR support:                yes
  OpenGL support:             yes
  PNG support:                yes
  PostgreSQL support:         no
  Python support:             no
  Readline support:           yes
  SQLite support:             yes
  Tcl/Tk support:             yes
  TIFF support:               yes
  X11 support:                yes

No luck here either. r.in.xyz still complains that it can't open the input
file. I checked just in case permissions were an issue, but it's 755, so no
worries there.

~ Eric.