[winGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Importing GLOBE DEM data

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Oct 28 10:20:22 EDT 2006

gotnidea! Business Development Centre wrote:
> I would be more precise with exactly what I am not able to get this time
> around. But I hope you consider that I am still a newbie with GRASS:

I understand, no harm in not knowing how to do things. But formulating
the right question makes it much easier for us to help you.

>     Your data already contains the hdr and clr files.
>

> To start with, I am not finding a way as to how these two files could be
> used to define the data I have downloaded. Where exactly they are to be
> placed or how GRASS would locate them. I am unable to find any
> documentation which could guide me in this regard. The documentation at
> NGDC is primarily for UNIX.

I think that r.in.gdal uses them automatically, but I'm not 100% sure.

>     In an existing location (for example spearfish) go to Config->Manage
>     Projections->"Show projection information..." and enter the following
>     parameters:
>
>     - check "Create new projection file" flag
>     - PROJ.4 projection description: +proj=longlat +datum=wgs84
>     - Name of new location to create: GUJARAT (or whatever you like)
>
>     Click on Run.
>

> I entered the above parameters and clicked on Run. Now I am supposed to
> close GRASS and restart GRASS. Right?

You can actually open GRASS as many times as you want as long as you
open it with a different location. So technically you are not obliged to
close the spearfish session in order to be able to open the gujarat
session. But unless you have good reasons to keep both open, I would
recommend closing any GRASS session you are not actively using, just to
reduce the amount of open windows and the risk of working in the wrong
GRASS instance.

>     Now open GRASS in the new location and run r.in.gdal from there. You
>     will have to check the "Override projection" flag.

> When I restarted GRASS with new location. I am able to generate the map,
> but it is all white (Blank). I believe I need to use some command for
> adding colours and may be I have to use the header file too.

I think it is probably due to the region settings, not to color issues.
Try "zoom to the selected map" in the Map Display window (10th button
from the left).

Moritz