[GRASS-user] tweak r.buffer to incorporate dampening function

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 15:07:28 EDT 2006

Greetings,

So I have some points which represent the estimated locations of Wifi networks
in my neighborhood. Thus far I have been able to make some fun maps which
estimate the "density" of signal based on a couple simple assumptions.
(http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/temp/sycamore-wifi-range-ogr_python.jpg)

However, this method assumes a constant, circular coverage area. I would like
to model propagation of the wifi signal (assuming no interference from trees,
etc) using a simple equation realting relative signal strength as a function
of distance from the signal source.

I have taken a quick peek at the source for r.buffer, and am wondering how
difficult it would be to modify it such that the module would optionally
write cells based on the distance from the starting point, defined by some
function.

anyone familiar with r.buffer?

Cheers,

--