[GRASS-user] confused by v.out.ogr

Robert Nuske rnuske at gwdg.de
Thu Sep 7 04:25:26 EDT 2006

Hi,

exporting a vector layer (53 polygons with 7 islands) into shapefile format, I
found mysterious numbers of features written.

If I am writting the polygons without islands I get the expected 53 features.
But if I am asking for the islands as well, I get (53 + 2*7) features. Which
is 53 polygons + 7 islands + 7 doubled polygons.

Am I doing something wrong?
Do I have a strange Grass Vector Layer?
Is this done on purpose?

Cheers,
  robert

Examples:

$ v.info grassVector
Number of points:       0               Number of areas:      60
Number of lines:        0               Number of islands:    60
Number of boundaries:   60              Number of faces:      0
Number of centroids:    53              Number of kernels:    0

$ v.out.ogr -c in=grassVector type=area dsn=. olayer=shpVector
Exporting 60 areas (may take some time) ...
 100%
53 features written
WARNUNG: 7 features found without category skip

v.out.ogr in=grassVector type=area dsn=. olayer=shpVector
Exporting 60 areas (may take some time) ...
 100%
67 features written
WARNUNG: 7 features without category written

looking at the resulting shpVector.dbf shows that polygons are doubled before
and after an island

cat value label
9   1     1
0   0