[GRASS-user] ArcGIS, GRASS and employability

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Sep 18 04:51:47 EDT 2006

Hello

Last spring I converted a short course I give to some of our MSc students,
from ArcGIS 9 to GRASS 6.0.  Whilst the students had had no prior exposure
to GIS (or indeed Linux), it was obvious that they progressed through their
work much more rapidly and learnt more in terms of the fundamental
concepts, and I was pleased with the overall results.

However, the External Examiner's report for the MSc has criticised the
change to GRASS, stating that "it isn't known outside Newcastle" and that
it is harming the students' employment prospects on graduation.  The
examiner is clearly wanting me to go back to using something like ArcGIS or
MapInfo in the GIS module.

It would be useful if anyone could provide me with a few facts/figures on
the use of GRASS outside of academia, especially in any large commercial
companies etc.

Many thanks
Roy
-------
Roy Sanderson
Institute for Research on Environment and Sustainability
Devonshire Building
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU