[GRASS-user] Re: MS-Windows native GRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Sep 18 17:27:22 EDT 2006

On Mon, September 18, 2006 19:09, Anders Fahlén wrote:
> The problem is that the inst_grass.bat still does
> not work . My question was if it would be
> possible to modify the inst_grass.bat file to an alternative download link.
>
> As the .bat file does not download correctly in
> my case I see no other option than to open
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32/  and
> manually download the identified and needed files to...
c:\msys\1.0\local
> ?

Yes.

However, I think it would be preferable to try to find out why
inst_grass.bat doesn't work and fix the problems. That way everyone
profits from this. (I'm especially insterested in this as I will launch my
colleagues to try to install grass pretty soon, and so I would like most
errors to be found and corrected before ;-)
Some error catching in the install script might also help. Getting to the
message 'GRASS installation completed' and then not being able to launch
GRASS is not an encouraging experience.

What I had happen to me at my first try is that the wget package did not
get downloaded correctly and this made all the rest of the installation
fail.

May I suggest that you erase everything (including c:\inst_grass and start
from scratch, i.e., if you are sure that mingw, msys and postgresql
(Huidae is postgresql really a compulsory requirement ?) are correctly
installed, download just inst_grass.bat, the unzip and wget packages (all
three into one same directory), launch inst_grass.bat and copy all
messages into a mail and send it to the list.

If that doesn't work, you could try to launch the following lines manually:

wget
http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnuwin32/libiconv-1.9.2-1-bin.zip
http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnuwin32/libiconv-1.9.2-1-dep.zip
 (or replace libiconv-1.9.2-1 with any other of the packages in line 22 of
the grass_inst.bat script). What happens ?

Moritz