[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] 6.2.0beta3 released

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 05:29:35 EDT 2006

Thomas Adams wrote:

> I'm currently using GRASS 6.1 for daily tasks at work. However, I
> recently installed GRASS 6.3 at home on my Mac, which, at first blush,
> seems to work fine. My question is this: should I go ahead and push
> the envelope and use 6.2 or 6.3 at work as well? What are the risks;
> am I going to be missing any important features not yet implemented?
> I understand, of course, that 6.2 and 6.3 are under development and
> have a greater likelihood of having bugs, but beyond that, what do
> you think?

6.1 is now obsolete.

The 6.2 branch is heading for a release so "should" be bug free. Please
everybody who isn't developing new 6.3 features use & test this version!
A good solid release (& importantly the reputation of the project)
requires that 6.2.0 be as well tested and bug-free as possible.

6.3 is now open for "radical" changes, so use at your own risk. (but if
history serves, it should be pretty good). For now I suggest only use
6.3 if you need a brand new missing feature (such as native MS Win), or
are developing specifically for it.

thanks,
Hamish