[GRASS-user] Gis.m language

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 4 15:02:10 EDT 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > How can I change my gis.m language? It's displaying the menus in
> > portuguese but this translation is incomplete and I want to see the
> > menus in english.
>
> assuming, that you are using Linux/MacOSX/Cygwin and bash style syntax:
>
>        export LANG=en_US
>        export LANGUAGE=en_US
>        export LC_ALL=en_US
>
> will switch to English.

As Jachym points out, the "default" locale is "C" (or "POSIX", which
is an alias).

That will avoid translation altogether; you will get the exact strings
directly from the source file, as if GRASS was built --without-nls.

Also, provided that LC_ALL is unset (which it should be), it is only
necessary to set LC_MESSAGES to affect message translation (you may
also want to set LC_NUMERIC=C to ensure that the decimal point is a
dot rather than a comma).