[GRASS-user] GRASS63cvs v.rast.stats reports zero for many CATs

Brandon M. Gabler bgabler at email.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 6 16:36:01 EDT 2007

Fellow GRASSers -

I am using GRASS 6.3 cvs, the Kynge's build, and I have an issue
using v.rast.stats on a raster of slope. Many (n>100) of my
archaeological sites, which are all polygons, produced 9 columns of
zeros for the slope stat calculations. I repeated the exercise, using
different column names, and it repeated the results.

The oddest part is that I successfully calculated elevation stats
from a DEM raster using the same v.rast.stats command. The slope
raster was produced directly from the DEM, so resolution, etc. are
exactly the same.

I investigated some of the polys that were missing slope information,
and indeed, the raster is completely intact in the area of these
polygons, with values other than zero, and the polygon itself is clean.

In attempting to do the same calculations with my aspect raster,
there were also many sites where the aspect calculation resulted in 0
(for both of these, even the 'n' field, number of cells, is 0). These
sites were not always the same as the ones that had slope
calculations of zeros!

I am running the stat calculations with slope again, after cleaning
the vector file, but I still am not optimistic that this will help
since my v.rast.stats calculations on elevation were successful where
the slope ones were not.

Also, it takes about 7 hours to calculate the stats for my 893
polygons (16 meter grid resolution probably has something to do with
it, but wanted to make sure this isn't a fixable thing).

I tried searching the user list, but found nothing related to this
problem with v.rast.stats.
Thanks all,
Brandon
_______________________
Brandon M. Gabler
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Anthropology
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
Phone: (520) 621-8455
Fax: (520) 621-2088
bgabler at email.arizona.edu

"Who? When? Whither? are the questions with which the archaeologist
challenges the refuse heaps, scattered potsherds, and broken shafts,
to tell of the builders who came and lived and went their way into
the templed past." -- Edgar Lee Hewett, in Pajarito Plateau and its
Ancient People, 1938