[GRASS-user] GRASS63cvs v.rast.stats reports zero for many CATs

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Apr 11 10:10:41 EDT 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 02:24:30PM +0200, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> Is it possible that the slope raster has really small values at these
>> locations, ie. with numbers after 10th decimal place? There is a note
>> in the v.rast.stats (it's a shell script), line 165:
>>
>> #check if DBF driver used, in this case cut to 10 chars col names:
>>
>> Propably Markus (script author) can explain why this is necessary.

> Necessary, but not desired :-) The problem is the 10 chars
> limitation in the DBF specifications, at least in the implementation
> which we use (OGR/SHAPELIB). You cannot have longer column names in DBF.

Markus,

Forgive me. This was a dumb question. First of all, the column *name*
lenght is not relevant here (in error I interpreted that v.rast.stats
script trims the column fields lenght, not the column name lenght).
Secondly, the 10 chars column name limit is documeneted in "SQL support
in GRASS GIS" section of GRASS manual.

Brandon,

In order to be able to say what could be the real reason of your
problem, please provide data and info necessary to reproduce it.

Maciek