[GRASS-user] Question about databases and vector files...

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Apr 27 08:31:16 EDT 2007

On 27/04/07 13:59, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Jonathan Greenberg wrote on 04/26/2007 07:31 PM:
>> As I said -- lots of newbie questions here (I'm a raster man, just now
>> beginning to learn the intricacies of vector files beyond "hey, it's a bunch
>> of points") -- is there any inherent size limitation for vector files (the
>> geometry portion) in grass?
>
> As far as I remember, Helena imported up to 500 million points - but
> without topology (via
> v.in.ascii -b ...). As Glynn said, the 2GiB limit is one problem unless
> LFS is working for
> vector data, too.
>>  E.g. should I be fine with the points I've
>> described if I use the pg to deal with the database portion, as opposed to
>> the standard dbf driver?
>>
> Maybe you can give it a try and report back?

If the problem is in the dbf driver, then using an alternative database
backend is not only 'fine', but probably the only solution until we
understand the issue. However, I'm not sure that your problems come from
the dbf driver...

Try with the postgreSQL driver, and if that does not work, send us more
detailed information about the failure (i.e. command used, error
messages, etc)

I all depends on what you want to do with the data. Do you need the
points only to interpolate a DEM, or something else ?

Moritz