[GRASS-user] install GRASS on linux, which is better -DELL Precision 690n or SUN Ultra 40 M2

jun liang liangj at email.unc.edu
Fri Apr 27 16:50:56 EDT 2007

Thanks, Brent. I have contacted our local SUN retailer and they said only
Solaris 10 will be preinstalled - they will not preinstall Redhat, or other
Linux OS, since that's what they get from SUN. I have visited SUN's website
- pretty much the same thing, only Solaris 10 preinstalled and you have no
other options. Redhat and other windows systems supported, though.
For the number of CPUs installed, you can also add another CPU to Dell's
configuration, but the price will be higher.
SUN's educational matching grant program lists 3 different configurations
for Ultra40M2, the most expensive one (with 2*Opteron 2.66Ghz, 16G Mem) cost
about $8800, which is too expensive for us. The regular price for this will
be over $10,000.
Just wonder if it is worth to have dual CPU to run grass - for multi users
running grass. Does the performance improve a lot? Anyone here has
experiences?
I have googled comparisons between AMD Opteron and Intel Xeon (see following
links) and found they are close to each other. The latest Xeon performs
slight better than Opterons.
Thanks for any comments.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/05/1414204
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/26/intel_woodcrest_and_amd_opteron_battl