[GRASS-user] Question about databases and vector files...

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat Apr 28 17:00:00 EDT 2007

On 27/04/07 20:10, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> All good, I finally got postgresql running and no longer have any of these
> issues!  Incidentally, is there any plan to begin using postgis geometry
> directly within grass (or is the long term goal to keep the grass vector
> geometry)?

GRASS will certainly keep its own geometry as the postgis geometry is
non-topological.

compare http://mpa.itc.it/markus/como2006/img8.html (non-topological) to
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/como2006/img9.html (topological).

> Is there a way to automatically connect to the database on grass boot?

What do you mean by "automatically connect" ? Whatever you set with
db.connect is stored in your .grassrc6 file.

> Also, I noticed the password is completely unencrypted when you connect in
> grass -- are there any plans to fix this at some point?

I think no one is seriously working on database connectivity at this
point, so no specific plans for this. I do agree that it is a bit clunky
in its current form. No idea what it would take to encrypt the password.

Moritz