[GRASS-user] “Random read is not supported by OGR for this layer, cannot build support.”

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 6 15:59:32 EDT 2007

Spencer Fogg wrote:
> Hi, GRASS users! I am a novice, and have only been using this program
> for a couple of months now. I'm having a problem using GRASS with
> postgres for a project at work, and I was wondering if you guys could help.
>

> I'm working with shapefiles, and want to display them in GRASS. Some of
> these files are large enough to crash GRASS while cleaning, and even
> more take longer to draw and redraw than I'd like. To avoid this, I'm
> attempting to use v.external to connect to the files in a postGIS table,
> created using shp2pgsql. When I run v.external, however, I get a strange
> warning: "Random read is not supported by OGR for this layer, cannot
> build support." Then when I try to display the created vector layer,
> GRASS crashes.

Spencer,

On review of the OGR PostGIS driver I think this is a bug in the driver's
"TestCapabilities" method.  Are you in a position to rebuild your GDAL with
a patch?  I'd appreciate your filing a bug against GDAL/OGR for this issue,
and we can pursue the discussion there.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/

Best regards,