[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS6.3 on Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Aug 7 13:47:51 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> > been trying the latest GRASS 6.3 on windows O/S.
> >
> > NVIZ on D.M gives error
> > 'couldnt execute NVIZ'
> >
> > NVIZ on map display just doesnt work..
> > Nothing happens when you click on it.
>
> This is one of the few items on the Windows native GRASS that doesn't work
> (apparently some infuriating problems with attribute databases too).
>
> From posts a couple months back, it seems that it DID work in this version
> early on and then stopped working. This suggests that there should be a way
> to get it running again.

It definitely used to work natively on Windows, and I think that it
also worked natively on OSX.

ISTR a comment that it stopped around the time that Bob changed NVIZ
from being a self-contained C module to a combination of a script
($GIBASE/bin/nviz) and a modified wish ($GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/nviz).

That may just be a rumour, though. It would be nice if someone[1]
could confirm this, by compiling versions before and after 2006-12-11
for native Windows.