[GRASS-user] v.edit bus error

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Aug 8 16:56:17 EDT 2007

Sorry, bus error and segfault are the same to me - it's broke.  But
thanks, this expands my understanding another bit ^_^

On Aug 8, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> That's probably the same bug I just found in another module, and is
>> present in v.edit also.  Bug already filed, and it's in the process
>> of being fixed in CVS.
>
> Which one?

http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?
func=detail&atid=204&aid=455&group_id=21

I just changed all the NULLs to "", it's in CVS now. (for all those
modules I found it in)

> Note that this is a bus error, not a segfault. On PPC, the most common
> reason for a bus error is unaligned access (e.g. trying to read a
> 32-bit word from a memory address which isn't a multiple of 4).
>
> x86 allows unaligned access, so this kind of bug normally only gets
> discovered on Macs.

Intel OSX.  I don't know what the default alignment is for Intel
OSX.  The GCC manpage wasn't clear what the Intel defaults are for
OSX (or it's clear in a complex way).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect