[GRASS-user] winGRASS 6.2.2 and 6.3.cvs

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Thu Aug 16 11:19:27 EDT 2007

Dear list,

On my MS Window XP machine, I have:
- Cygwin GRASS 6.1.cvs (last Huidae Cho's version);
- Cygwin GRASS 6.2.2-1 (18-Jul-2007);
- Native winGRASS 6.3.cvs (wingrass63_cvs20070801, 01-Aug-2007).

Some observations:

The three do not interfere with each other, except for the native
winGRASS 6.3.cvs that needs to reset GISDBASE: in ~/.grassrc6 to an
absolute path at startup (c:\cygwin\home\$USER\ as opposed to
\home\$USER\ which is enough for Cygwin): next time you use a Cygwin
version, it complains that it does not find the database folder (and
vice versa when you use start the native version after a Cygwin/GRASS
session). I understand one is very likely to survive this inconvenience,
but is there a way around it?

If I use the cygwin_grass.bat script to start GRASS 6.2.2-1 as described
at <http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/#icon>, I receive the
error message:

    Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk
    applicationcouldn't connect to display "127.0.0.1:0.0"
    Error in startup script: dynamic loading is not currently available
    on this system
        while executing
    "load /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.a Tk"
        ("package ifneeded" script)
        invoked from within
    "package require Tk 8.0"
        ("package ifneeded" script)
        invoked from within
    "package require -exact BWidget 1.2.1"
        (file "/usr/local/grass-6.2.2/etc/gtcltk/options.tcl" line 15)
        invoked from within
    "source $env(GISBASE)/etc/gtcltk/options.tcl"
        (file "/usr/local/grass-6.2.2/etc/gis_set.tcl" line 29)
    Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk
    applicationcouldn't connect to display "127.0.0.1:0.0"
    Error in startup script: dynamic loading is not currently available
    on this system
        while executing
    "load /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.a Tk"
        ("package ifneeded" script)
        invoked from within
    "package require Tk 8.0"
        ("package ifneeded" script)
        invoked from within
    "package require -exact BWidget 1.2.1"
        (file "/usr/local/grass-6.2.2/etc/gm/gm.tcl" line 24)

However, if I use a modified grass.bat script (the one that starts GRASS
6.1.cvs, only with grass62 instead of grass61 in the "run xterm ..."
line) everything works fine.The cygwin_grass.bat script only works if
there is an Cygwin/X Server already running from a previous Cygwin/GRASS
session (the Cygwin/X Server stays on after exiting GRASS -- you have to
manually shut it down). It sounds like grass62 starts before startx has
finished, but this is just my impression. Is there a known fix to this?
I have found no answer in email archives.

Last thing: I have tried to run a shell script on the native winGRASS
6.3.cvs (by typing the script name at the bottom box of "Output - GIS.m"
window and then pressing the different "run" buttons) but it always
fails (the script works fine on Cygwin/GRASS versions) saying:
- nothing if I press "Run";
- nothing if I press "Run (Background)";
- error message if I press "Run UI":

    couldn't execute "ita.sh": no such file or directory
    couldn't execute "ita.sh": no such file or directory
        while executing
    "exec -- $program --tcltk"
        (procedure "run_ui" line 6)
        invoked from within
    "run_ui [string trim [.gronsole.win.text get 1.0 end]]"
        invoked from within
    ".gronsole.command.runui invoke"
        ("uplevel" body line 1)
        invoked from within
    "uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
        (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 24)
        invoked from within
    "tk::ButtonUp .gronsole.command.runui
    "
        (command bound to event)

- if I press "Run in Xterm", a Windows command prompt flashes briefly
and then disappears.
At first I thought it was a matter of end of line characters, since I
noticed that the shell scripts of the native 6.3.cvs version included in
the "scripts" folder had CR/LF end of line (and they seem to work if
invoked in the way I described above for my own script), while the
Cygwin version of the same scripts had LF end of line. But after
converting end of lines to CR/LF, I get the same results as described
above when I tried to run the script. Any hints on how try running
homemade scripts on native winGRASS?

Thanks and regards,

Luigi