[GRASS-user] Re: [winGRASS] winGRASS 6.2.2 and 6.3.cvs

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Thu Aug 16 18:01:20 EDT 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Luigi Ponti wrote:
>

>> Dear list,
>>
>> On my MS Window XP machine, I have:
>> - Cygwin GRASS 6.1.cvs (last Huidae Cho's version);
>> - Cygwin GRASS 6.2.2-1 (18-Jul-2007);
>> - Native winGRASS 6.3.cvs (wingrass63_cvs20070801, 01-Aug-2007).
>>
>> Some observations:
>>
>> The three do not interfere with each other, except for the native
>> winGRASS 6.3.cvs that needs to reset GISDBASE: in ~/.grassrc6 to an
>> absolute path at startup (c:\cygwin\home\$USER\ as opposed to
>> \home\$USER\ which is enough for Cygwin): next time you use a Cygwin
>> version, it complains that it does not find the database folder (and
>> vice versa when you use start the native version after a Cygwin/GRASS
>> session). I understand one is very likely to survive this inconvenience,
>> but is there a way around it?
>>

> Use different values of $HOME for Cygwin and Windows.

My Windows $HOME has been set to "C:\cygwin\home\user" via the Windows
control panel. I would not know how to set $HOME to a different value
for Cygwin ("/home/user/"? This is the value I enter manually when I
start Cygwin/GRASS after a native winGRASS session -- because it cannot
find "C:\cygwin\home\user" ). I tried setting &HOME in Cygwin via
.bashrc but it did not work. The fact is that when GRASS starts up, it
seems to look into GISDBASE value written in ~/.grassrc6 during the last
session.

Thanks and regards,

Luigi