[GRASS-user] swig a python

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Aug 26 01:43:38 EDT 2007

G. Allegri wrote:

> Qualcuno sa se e come sta procedendo la realizzazione dell'interfaccia
> Swig
> di Grass per Python?
> Ho visto che le ultime modifiche sono di Markus a Maggio 2007. C'è ancora
> parecchio lavoro da fare, o si può cominciare a "farci qualcosa"? Qualcuno
> ha già esperimenti da condividere?

Giovanni,

indeed, there is not as much activity as hoped - but the paradigm is "hack
on"!
Some demo Python scripts are there and seem to work. So access to library
functions via SWIG is already possible.
The problem is how to "swig" commands. The SWIG/PERL part contains
as example "r.slope.aspect". It would be nice to get that replicated (and
generalized, without local code clone) for Python. Once we know how to
do one module, we can "swig" many more.

Please don't hesitate to explore, I guess that there a re a couple of people
just waiting for one to take initiative.

best
Markus