[GRASS-user] UTM projection problems

mhall at berkeley.edu mhall at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 17 10:07:50 EST 2007

Hi,

I am using GRASS 6.2 on a Windows XP machine.  Its the cygwin build.  I
also access it from QGIS 8.1 for windows.

The problem I am noticing is reading in a satellite image (ASTER or
Landsat) and the projection and reference system I end up with.  My
imagery is in Geotiff format.  Reading the metadata files and the
projection info of the Geotiff of course lists the correct zone, etc.

When I load the image into GRASS via r.in.gdal and tell GRASS to create a
new location, I get a generic x,y system set-up and the UTM projection
zone is 0 (no matter where in the world I have my imagery, been tested on
several sets of images...).  I go in and reset the projection, bt once I
exit GRASS, the projection defaults back.  Oddly enough, the projection it
creates is consistent in terms of overlays, etc.  And even odder, when I
import an image in lat-lon it creates that.

Any suggestions on what I am making a mess of?

Best, Mark Hall